Sunday, August 17, 2008

Greenwich











The past Friday, I used my trusty “Best Day Trips From London” book and headed to Greenwich. I met up with Katherine, a high school friend of my mom’s, who was in England to see an opera (thanks for the great day Kat!). We started the day by hitting the local market. European markets are becoming one of my favorite things to do…they are all so different and usually filled with a little of everything. Although I am usually a very impatient shopper, I wanted to buy everything I saw but settled for a simple pair of earrings made by a local artist. After a lunch of fish and chips, we headed to see some sights. And there are plenty to see in Greenwich! We missed out on the Cutty Sark, a 19th century clipper ship, bec ause it is under renovation but we did walk through the campus of the Royal Naval College and poke our heads into the National Maritime Museum. The highlight of the day was the climb through the park and up the hill to the Old Royal Observation. Greenwich is where all time is measured from the Prime Meridian Line. We straddled the line and where able to stand in both the eastern and western hemispheres at the same! The only bad thing about the day was that Jignesh could not play hookey from work so he was unable to join us. I guess I will have an excuse to visit Greenwich again!








Cheers!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that so far there are more pictures of Shloppy on your blog then there are of you two. How about Kat & Jiggy smiling for the camera more often?

Lynne said...

What a neat day! The markets sound like fun. The pictures of Greenwich are great -- looks like the weather cooperated, too. Thanks for blogging.

peter said...

Wow, Greenwich looks awesome - I hope you had a Sandwich to go with your Greenwich visit (sorry, it's way too late at night for me).

I bet you guys are excited about the EPL season starting up. I would love to go to a game sometime...

Anonymous said...

it soiunds like you are enjoying London... i may have some contacts for you too..
life is good in Ecuador. i move to my site in two weeks and can not wait. i will have a new address and cell phone soon