Monday, December 21, 2009

Where is Christmas?

With only a few shopping days left, I have to admit that it does not feel like Christmas. Yes, we have some snow on the ground and downtown Geneva is sparkling in lights and other holiday decorations. However, our flat remains void of any signs of Christmas. For the first time in many years (possibly forever) I do not have a proper Christmas tree and all the other decorations remain boxed and sitting on the top shelf of our hallway closet. Because we were in the States for two weeks over Thanksgiving and we will be in Italy for Christmas and New Year's, I figured it would be silly to spend time and money on adorning our half-furnished and disorganized flat with random Chirstmas paraphanelia. Well, for someone who usually loves Christmas, this was an awful decision. I truly miss having a Christmas tree filled with all the ornaments that I have been given over the years from my great Aunt Helen. I miss my Charles Dickens' Christmas village as well as my red and green stockings. I even miss attempting to untangle all the Christmas lights and then eventually giving up and buying new ones! So, with only a few days left before Christmas, I decided to take matters in to my own hands and today I bought a small Christmas cactus. I know it is not your typical Christmas tree but at least it is loosely associated with the holidays! Even though I have no one to pawn them off on, tomorrow I might even bake some cookies! Merry Christmas!

Au Revoir!

3 comments:

Lynne said...

Merry Christmas, Kat! Have a wonderful time in Italy. Thinking of you guys and hoping you have a great New Year!

peter said...

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Kat! So glad you loved Venice! I spent the summer of 1976 in Italy as a student.....I loved it all. It's been a long time since our day in Greenwich, but I still think of you and love reading you blog. Great photos, and congrats on that chicken you cooked! Love, Kat Laney Swindoll

PS In honor of the NO Saints, how about "Dae-Who Dat?"
for the car??????