Friday, April 29, 2011

The Royal Wedding

I am not a huge follower of the British Royal Family and definitely do not understand the obsession with them but having lived in London for a bit and currently receiving BBC television, it is impossible not to be caught up in the craziness of the Royal Wedding. And it is crazy! Today has been declared a UK national holiday. TV coverage has been non-stop since the announcement of the engagement with every detail from the flowers to the invites being disected ten times over. Souvenirs of every type have been produced to commenerate the wedding (I have even seen a refrigarator with a huge photo of William and Catherine on the front). People have been camping along the parade route for days. And lawn parties are being held in every major park as well as private gardens. Of course, this all being done in a proper, organized manner. While I am not joining others to view the wedding, I do admit that as I write this, I am curled up on the couch with a cup of coffee watching all the events unfold live. And yes, I am even getting anxious to see the dress.

I will never comprehend the hoopla over two people and their wedding (not to mention the money spent!) but it is fantastic to see the country come together and show such pride. So, I guess, without further ado...Congrats William and Catherine!

Au Revoir

No comments: